Monday, September 10, 2007

Ok, probably another short one... So, I've been here almost a full 5 days, and things are QUITE different! I'm slowly starting to learn my way around and just got a brand new Giant bike to get to and from school on. Hopefully a scooter will be next, as it takes me about 25 minutes one way and by the time I get there I am literally DRENCHED in sweat! The bike is awesome, though. I paid about $100 US for what would have cost $1000-1500US back home!!! Can't beat that!
I've been at my school for two days now, mostly observing, although I got thrown into teaching a class today. It went fine, but my goodness - I am going to be so exhausted from all of the disciplining by the end of every day!!! Some of the kids are very naughty! The school is a very good one - very organized and professional. One major positive is that I've made friends with one of the teachers, Jennifer. She's from Toronto, has been here four years and unfortunately will be leaving in about a month. She's great, though, because she's offered to show Nick and I around the city and teach us how to ride scooters. She even has a couple of scooters we may buy from her when she leaves. Very nice to have someone who knows the ropes and can give me all the important inside info!
So, the most interesting thing so far has been all of the "food"... My first night here we went for some fast food (Chinese fast food) and in with the raw beef and pork were cow stomach and intestines!!! Lesson #1 Only order things that I know (like beef, pork, chicken...) Then at the grocery store, not only did they have live swimming fish in tanks (some of you know how I enjoyed that), they also had pig stomach and a bowl full of cold water and raw HEARTS in the meat counter! WOW! It gives a whole new meaning to Chinese food, yes?
Well, this has turned out longer than I thought it would (mostly because I've been waiting for someone to come guide me home - I don't know the way yet). Anyway, thanks so much for all of the nice emails and notes! I miss you all and hope to hear from you soon!

2 comments:

Annette said...

Katie, that is some seriously gross food!! I hope you are not eating it! Remember, you don't really want to get sick so far away from your Uncle Dr. Rod!!
I love you and am proud of you!
Annette
(your favorite aunt)

cbarnes2 said...

hey babe. Okay now the pig stuff that you found at the grocery store is just not okay!! Poor piggies=( I am so glad that you got there safe though! Dont forget to let nick know that he still is in for a massive beating whenever he gets back.. I dont care if it has to happen in nebraska, texas or oklahoma!! Well that is really good news to hear that you met someone there even though she is leaving! Weird story realy quick I was waiting on this guy the other day and he was talking about his son and how he was in his mid twenties and I was like yeah..and he was like ya he just left for taiwan.. I got suspicious and then he said that he was from oklahoma.. then I was like wait... but it ended up it was not nicks dad.. but how weird! Anyways I miss you... come back to texas=(!!!